Skip to main content

The resistance


I was looking out the window
this morning
from the kitchen at the office.

Staring into the little open space
between buildings.
Smack in the middle of the city.
And I could only think:
this is not the life I want.
Far from it.

This is a substandard compromise.
This is too far away
from the place I wanted to end up.
And worse
it doesn’t seem like I’m going to that place
anytime soon
or ever.

I refuse to believe
that it’s the way of life.
That the only way to live
a balanced life, is
to live a prescribed life.

I don’t want the fears that were so
carefully instilled or
surgically inserted
by the ruling mechanisms
to actually govern my choices.

Society is nothing
without the excess of individuality.
Without divergence.

Don’t let anyone make you feel
less about yourself
only because you stray
from the path of average.
This was only outlined to serve
a purpose that is not yours.

While you are working your hard
and stressful
and mostly meaningless hours
on the job
only to keep yourself
and your family alive
for 80 odd years
someone else is getting
filthy rich.

And I mean
disturbingly so.

I don’t see what is fair
about that.
Or why this should be accepted
for the greater good.
Maybe this is the kind of social hierarchy
that will be considered
as barbaric in the future.

Much like we now look at
slavery, racism and genocide.
But then again
our official disdain for such matters
has not stop us from practicing
yet.

Things get juggled and rephrased
to better fit the administrative patois.
But nothing is truly abolished.

Should you one day decide
to leave your office
for good,
a variant of this thought
might linger at the bottom of it.

Why comply?

It is in every way
a good resolution.