Skip to main content

A fire in the lake

Another white overcast 
early afternoon. 
It looks like rain 
but it's not going to fall 
I can tell. 
Sometimes the air here feels like 
it hasn't rained in years. 
There is no wind at all. 
I can't recall there ever having been any. 
Not here. 

Just like any other time 
I'm sitting in the same spot 
in the dusty reddish sand 
at the edge of a lake. 
The fine long grass 
is strong enough to grow 
as tall as my shoulders. 
It has purpose and 
seems determined 
which is more than you can say 
about me. 
I didn't drive here. 
I didn't travel here. 
I didn't come here. 
I end up here 
now and then. 
But almost daily. 

The surface of the lake 
is an ivory white and 
of a motionless smoothness 
like a titanium surface. 

It is an unbreakable veneer 
with only little ripples 
of movement 
where my eyes fall on its skin. 
But they even out almost 
instantaneously. 

I climb a pitch-black tree 
that has huge overhanging branches. 
Inky limbs that reach 
well over the surface. 
At the farthest safe point 
I look down onto the ivory complexion 
of the water 
and I see the raging firestorm 
right beneath
all that outward appearance. 

Some day those bowels will 
erupt and emerge 
and this lake will boil with 
a singeing heat 
and pull me down from my view point. 
Ripping me to shreds 
in a swirling stew. 

There is 
no safe distance 
between us. 
You might as well 
dive straight in 
with me.