Skip to main content

We are the Self

This short idiom has been leaping
and prancing through my mind,
incessantly,
the past weeks.
Maybe months.
Cavorting somewhere
in the back rooms of my reason.
Creating quite the ruckus
as far as to keep me awake
for days on end.

It is a premise.
My personal hypothesis.
My supposition of what our world,
and more specifically,
our social structures and interactions
should be based on.
It’s not a creed I methodically live by,
but it certainly is an aspiration of where I would like
a (yes, this) society to advance towards.
A little assist for evolution and illumination.
A new Theory, if you will.
Very presumptuous, I know
but the current order is way more repulsive.
So I will take my liberties here,
in my tiny domain.
Call me arrogant,
I get called far worse every day.

Let’s be honest.
Nothing works.
Let me correct that.
Nothing that is touched and organised
by human hands,
works.
It all breaks down the beauty
of this planet
one drop,
one forest,
one species,
one miracle at a time.
It all steers toward death.
And we die along with it.
Be it slowly,
but irrefutably.
We behave like a creeping poison
petrifying one vein after the other.

I know I’m not alone in thinking
that we do not need to stay locked
in this plummeting spiral.
That’s why so many of us
are doing all those little
but magnificent things
to change our devastating bearing.
That’s why we hope
our ant’s hope,
facing the titans of convention.
Because anything is better
than the odds we are facing now.

So in believing that
We are the self
I start by assuming that we are the same.
We are all the same.
If you strip down the repressive layers
like the obvious tyranny of state and market,
but also the more surreptitious coercions
like religion, culture and morality,
and some of the biological differences
like skin colour, morphology and language
we really are the same, no?

Underneath all of that muddle
we all want the same things.
Freedom: meaning independence,
self-determination and choice.
Security: meaning safety,
refuge and sanctuary.
Sustainability: meaning mainly procreation
and to some degree, ecological stability.
All these notions combined
help to ensure and support our survival.
I’m guessing that all the raw psychology
underlying these mechanisms
is fundamentally the same in all of us.

I mean,
in the end,
we have the same objectives.
We are of one mind and
of one feeling.
Of one self.

I’d like to think that
this collective self
can be addressed.
Called upon.
Without human constructions.

The mode to address it
is universal even beyond
the bounds of this planet or galaxy.
And as simple as it is immeasurable.

It is the mystical energy we tap into
when we play music to one another.