Skip to main content

Someone took all the magic

It is a combination of things.
The darkness of these winter months.
The tedious rhythms of everyday life.
The weight of the changes imposed on most of us.
The unfair distribution of means.
The pointless nature of our undertakings. 

I’m staring blankly ahead
and feel overwhelmed
and somewhat lost.
I’m tired of composing myself.
Of keeping up the appearance
of joyful prospects.
There will be great moments
but there will not be any purpose
if I stay on this road.

I need a more drastic shift
in my life.
Something that scares me
and steers away from the relentless
and debilitating securities 
I am building around myself.

I have allowed myself
to become afraid of losing things
ignoring the fact that 
loss is a natural thing.
Things have to wane and rot
in order to truly exist.

Magic is in the extremities of life.
Not in the grey murky middle
that we call reassurance.

Let’s do a sound minimum
to ensure a decent future.
But let’s not overcompensate
for our losses.

Let’s go out 
and make beautiful magic.