Skip to main content

My version of a bio

My recently discovered
American connection Daniel Miess
asked me to write a bio
so there’d be some reference to
the posts of my work he may be including
in his poetry project.
(Don’t feel obliged, by the way, Daniel.
I know that most of my work
would not qualify as poetry when scrutinised)

I’ve written some biographies
in the past.
Mostly for one of the bands
I was playing in.
And next to doing performance video shoots
it’s probably one of my most hated parts
of being in a band.
But it has to happen,
because the audience wants to relate
to the musician
or to the author
or to the artist.
But you have to understand that
it really sucks to be at the centre of things
when you are actually too introverted
to occupy such a space.
It was never the reason I started writing
or making music.
Quite the opposite really.

Because I don’t like it at all,
I will do it in the only form
that will give me some fulfilment.
Here goes:

I’m a Belgian.
We have been in the news recently
since this tiny speck of a country
with its square footage of 11,787 square miles,
appears to be the hub of all terrorist sleeper cells
on the European continent.
We’ve always been a transit country for commerce,
why not for radicalist idiots.
(To give you an idea,
this country is just a tad smaller
than the state of Massachusetts.)

I was born in the creepy town of Mechelen
and lived there until the age of 21.
I moved a few miles up north to Antwerp later.
A small move, but it made a big difference,
providing more anonymity. 

My interest in writing started quite early on.
I had always been interested in story-telling
and I still have some cassettes
from when I was 4 or 5,
with recorded invented stories
about animals in anthropomorphic interactions.
Family life and silly adventures.  
Growing a bit older I started writing short stories
for myself which I all threw away.
It was the action of writing that pleased me,
not the reading
and I would certainly never show them to anyone.
I got horribly embarrassed when my mother
would dig them out of the trash.
I didn’t want her praise.
I didn't want anyone's praise.
But I wrote.
Not great stuff,
but the desire to dream-up things was strong.
The real kick came when I was about 11 or 12,
reading my first English book.
I wish it had been
something deep
and impressive
and way beyond my years
but it was ‘The Day of the Triffids’ by John Wyndham.
The cover spoke to me
and I still remember being sucked into the story.
That’s the first time I remember thinking:
I want to do this.
Up until today,
I haven’t.
Not really.

I studied journalism
but started working in
marketing and communications.
A job that doesn’t suit me at all
but which, nonetheless, I’m quite good at.
Parts of it, at least.

Either way
from the age of 16
all through college
and right up to this point
(I’ll be 40 in May)
I’ve been singing in bands.
Not for the audience
but for the writing.
Writing lyrics allowed me to write
without spending weeks or months on a story.
It also forced me to ‘finish’ the work
and be concise 
because other people were waiting for me,
depending on me.
It had the added bonus of allowing me to be
highly emotional, abstract
and even extreme with my use of words.
A great way to explore the limits
of what writing can do
and a great way to find your fist.
Some things just come naturally,
and those are the ones I’m looking for.
An extension of the subconscious,
using a conscious technique.
To each his own
and this is absolutely my thing.

My writing has adopted this lyric style
to an extreme extent.
Even though it looks a lot different,
the intent is the same.
I just let it go.
Sometimes it will read like a journal
on other days there will only be abstract thoughts
or seemingly random words on a page
(which they are not).
And anything in between.

To me, writing is
an expression of my freedom, first.
Something to be read, second.
I don’t (and never will) care about form
or spelling or grammar or punctuation.
But I can imagine some of the more technical writers
would shun me for that.
I understand your point,
but I truly don’t care at all.

I have debated this point with others
claiming that this makes me ‘not a writer’.
All I can say to that is:
I write, don’t I.
I never claimed that
I would make a living out of it
or be published
or even be read.
But still
That doesn’t make me less of a writer.
It makes me an unsuccessful writer.
But maybe more of a writer
than some of the really successful ones
since success is often the poorest indicator of quality.

But to answer the questions
that tend to be raised by the term ‘biography’:
Belgian.
Born in 1976.
Musician, singer, songwriter since 1992.
Writing other things since 2010.
Unpublished, because 
that’s what self-published really is.
and there’s about 5 copies left of
my ‘essay on poetry: Juniver’
I’m a huge Bukowski fan
for all the right reasons
but many other books
have shaped my freedom writing style.
I love being influenced
and building on that.

That about sums it up.
More about me can be learned by reading my work
or listening to the albums on http://thequiettapes.bandcamp.com/

* Irsin Kast is a pen name
and my fully established alter-ego.
Irsin is derived
from the German word ‘Irrsinn’,
which can be translated as insanity or madness.
Kast is the Dutch word for ‘Closet’,

just a word I happen to like.