Skip to main content

Finally, a real crisis

I'm not leading this item
with a question,
as one would do
when pretending to be
some kind of philosopher.
Which, I guess
I'm also pretending to be.
No point
in denying it.
But I don't think
that philosophy is a dirty word. 
And I think everyone
is entitled to a little reasoning
now and then.

I may not be poignant,
articulate
or technically well versed,
but I am highly impassioned
and stirring.
At least to myself.
And that is where
the effects
of my philosophy
are most valuable,
I believe.

My mind is full
to the brim
with nonsensical worries,
as I'm sure yours is as well.
In my case,
stuff from work mainly,
but also complications
in the things
that I actually like doing
for myself.
The music,
the writing,
the sports,
the meditations,
you know...
in everything.
Complications are
everywhere.

And I can't
for the life of me,
understand why that is so.

Let's be frank,
we are not really complicated beings.
Everything we need
is provided by nature
because we are a part of it.

There is abundance
as long as we don't
stress the system
with overpopulation
as we are doing now.

But the worries
I am dragging along
have nothing to do with
not getting what I need
to stay alive or
to be happy.
They are caused by
the weaving of a web
of dependencies and cravings
that I never asked for
and that are even not natural to me.
It is as if
a colossal
and inescapable structure
was imposed on me.
And even though
this construct slowly grew
over the course of many generations,
it still feels like
I was totally free
just yesterday,
and I am wholly imprisoned
today.

As if I have been blind to it
for all my life
and have now suddenly reached a point
where a heavy veil
has been lifted
and all this total nonsense
comes into focus.
And now
every fiber in my body
tells me to break all the patterns,
to reinvent myself
and to reset my entire existence.

And that, ladies and gentlemen,
is what we call
a full fledged
mid-life crisis.

It is my fourth
in this life-time
by the way.